Minster, Ohio Canal History and the Ohio Byway Signs  [Next]

It was named the "Dutch Mill" in 1941, however in the 1850s, "Dry Goods & Groceries, F Sprehe" was posted across the storefront with Francis Sprehe's residence on the second floor.  The eyehook used to tie up canal boats is still on the west wall along with the entry way into the basement, once used to unload the transported goods.  The Dutch Mill is roughly four blocks west of State Route 66 on West Fourth Street.

Pictured below is the former home of John Paul Schmider, a man who had fourteen children and six stepchildren during four marriages.  The home,  built 1852-1854, is still located a couple blocks east on West Fourth Street at the corner of Hanover.

One half block to the north of the Dutch Mill on the east side of the canal is a former canal freight house. It was built in the 1850s by a "cooper" or barrel maker.  The canal side opening allowed access to the dirt floor cellar. (Pictured on the lower right.)

The "Ohio Byway" signs posted in this area refer to a "road trip" promoting the canal highlights described on this website plus those extending to the Johnson Estate Historical Farm near Piqua.  www.ohiobyways.com

Viewable Map    Printable Maps: Towpath Trail - Delphos - St. Marys

Home    [Next]